Like most states, Ohio requires anyone operating a motor vehicle to have insurance, with the potential for penalties and fines if you are caught driving without insurance. But despite this law, many motorists in Ohio do not have any insurance - or they only have the minimum amount necessary to permit them to legally drive. When uninsured or underinsured motorists cause an accident, it raises the question of who will pay for the damage that they have caused. At the law firm of E. Ray Critchett, LLC Attorney at Law, we can help clients who have been injured by drivers without insurance.

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorists in Ohio

The State of Ohio requires anyone driving a motor vehicle to have insurance or proof of financial responsibility. Drivers must have insurance policies with a minimum of $25,000 per person in bodily injury liability coverage and $50,000 for all persons injured in any one accident. The policy must also have $25,000 in property damage liability coverage.

While this may seem like a high amount, the reality is that $25,000 won't go far when someone is hurt in a car accident. Immediate medical care after an accident, ongoing medical treatment, lost wages and other expenses can quickly exceed this amount. Once this insurance is exhausted, an injured party will have to look elsewhere to recover the costs of their medical treatment and other losses.

One option may be to file a lawsuit against the responsible party. However, if they are carrying the minimum insurance amount or do not have any insurance, it is unlikely that they will have sufficient assets to pay for your damages. In that situation, filing a claim with your own insurance company is the next step.

Filing A UIM Claim

Most drivers in Central Ohio carry uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage on our own policies. Uninsured motorist coverage will compensate you for your injuries if you are involved in an accident that was caused by someone who does not have insurance. Underinsured motorist coverage will help to compensate you if the crash was caused by a driver with insufficient insurance to cover your damages. If your claims exceed the value of the other driver's insurance policy, you will be able to file an underinsured motorist claim with your insurance company.

Many people are reluctant to file a claim with their own insurance company for an accident that was not their fault. They are worried that their rates will increase, and they may believe that it is wrong for their insurance to pay for an accident that was caused by someone else's negligence or wrongdoing. While these concerns are understandable, they are easily addressed. Ohio law prohibits your insurance company from raising your premium if you were involved in an accident that was not your fault.

Filing an uninsured or underinsured motorist claim will not cause your rates to go up if you were not responsible for the collision. And while it may be unfair that your insurance will pay for an accident caused by someone else, it is often the only way that you will recover for your losses. If you have an insurance policy, you have paid for it - including uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. You should take advantage of this policy provision, and file your claim. E. Ray Critchett, LLC can assist you with filing a claim and will fight for your right to be covered for accidents involving uninsured or underinsured motorists.


If you've been hurt in an accident with a driver who either doesn't have insurance or doesn't have enough insurance to cover your losses, contact the law firm of E. Ray Critchett, LLC. We are skilled at filing and litigating uninsured and underinsured motorist claims. Our team will negotiate with your insurance company or take them to court to make sure that your damages are covered. We will walk you through each step of the process, and make sure that you are compensated for your injuries. Contact our office today to schedule a free consultation and learn how we can help you with your uninsured or underinsured motorist claim.