Insurance disputes frequently arise when an insurance company chooses to: deny payment under the policy; minimize the amount of payment required and/or delay ultimate payment under the policy of insurance.

Liability Insurance Claim

While you may see commercials where insurance carriers claim to be "Good Neighbors" or state that you are "In Good Hands", you must keep in mind that they are companies and as companies, they are in business to make a profit. This is true even if you are dealing with your own insurance company.

If the insurance adjuster for the negligent driver contacts you, simply obtain the person's name, phone number and the claim number.

Do I have to Provide a Recorded Statement?

No. A recorded statement is not necessary and I generally do not recommend providing one to the liability insurance company unless it is given in my presence. Note: this response may change if it is your own insurance company asking you for a statement as many policies include a duty to cooperate with the insurance company.

Do I have to give them a Medical Authorization?

No. Most medical authorizations are generic and unlimited in time (could be from birth to the present) and unlimited in scope (could be used for any and all doctors you have ever seen). I generally do not recommend signing these authorizations until after you have been able to obtain legal advice from an attorney. Note: this response may change it if is your own insurance company; however, I still recommend speaking with an attorney before signing any documentation from the insurance company.

What if the at-fault driver does not have Insurance?

If you are involved in a collision with an uninsured motorist, you will likely need to open an Uninsured Motorist Claim (UM) with your own auto insurance carrier. However, this does not mean that the at-fault driver will not be pursued.

What happens if the at-fault driver does not have enough Insurance?

If the at-fault driver's liability insurance policy limits are insufficient to compensate you for your injuries and damages, you may be able to pursue an Underinsured Motorist Claim (UIM) under your own auto insurance policy. This does not mean that the at-fault driver will not be held liable for the full value of your case.

While we would all love to believe that we are truly "In Good Hands," unfortunately, insurance companies frequently interpret policies to minimize the required payment or in some instances deny claims. Insurance companies may also tell you that you must do X Y and Z in order to comply with the terms of the policy, such as provide a written or oral statement, sign authorizations, submit to questioning (Examinations Under Oath or an "EUO"), etc. . . . My office can assist you in understanding the terms and conditions of your policy and assist you in filing a valid claim if necessary. If your insurance company is telling you what you "must" do, review your policy carefully to see if they are telling you the truth, or call my office to let us help you with your claim.


E. Ray Critchett, LLC Attorney at Law can assist you with Insurance Bad Faith claims, Property Loss claims, Examinations Under Oath, Motor Vehicle Collision claims, Homeowners and Business Property Losses, Professional Liability claims, Uninsured and/or Underinsured Motorist Coverage, Disability Insurance, Health Insurance claims and Life Insurance Disputes.